Friday, February 27, 2009

Mountains

This past week I've spent in and near the Alps. The first night I spent in Lyon in a little apartment not far from the Rhône River. As I walked past the Rhône on my way to my friend's place I had thought how cool it was to be in a place I had learned about in high school french class. The next morning I got up early to take a train to Grenoble and then a bus to the Bourg d'Oisans, which is a cute little mountain town.

The camp was beautiful. I enjoyed getting to meet some of the Greater Europe Mission (GEM) folks. I stayed for the next few days. The first day that I got to the camp I hiked to the porte de romaine, which means Roman door. It's actually a place where the Romans crossed. You can see and feel the markings in the rock where wagons had crossed. The following day I hiked up this trail called la cheminée, which means the chimney. Parts of this trail were also crossed by the Romans. The third day I was there I went for a run/hike near the camp. While I was gone I saw wild boar! It was incredible.

I arrived in Grenoble on Monday. I stayed two nights in a community christian house not far from the University in town. Grenoble reminded me a great deal of University of Colorado in Boulder, where I've gone to school for the past three semesters. It could be that all college campus' are the same, or maybe it was that and how the city had mountains. While I was there I spent time with some students, going to a French politics class, and eating meals in French. :) Grenoble has been my favourite place to visit thus far. I just wish that my vocabulary was larger so I can understand more.

As a head's up, my laptop is a bit out of commission. I am using the Cross' laptop for the moment, gratefully.

This is a picture above the camp in the Alps. It's looking at the Belledonne mountain range. Don't mind the tree branch in focus, I had to set the camera on the tree to take the pic.

This one below is from a bridge above the Isère River not far from the fortress on the hill in Grenoble. The mountains sure look lovely for a backdrop.



0 comments: