Thursday, March 5, 2009

La Tour Effiel

Tuesday, I went to Paris with Claire, the eldest. We walked up the 700 and something set of stairs to the second tier of the tour, not quite the top. To get to the top you have to buy another ticket. Regretfully, we discovered this after we waited in line for 15 minutes, a LONG time for a 9 year old, for the elevator to go to the top. Afterwards, we took the metro to a creperie shop in the St. Germain region, which is in the 6th arrondisment, neighborhood, in Paris. The shop was cute, quaint, and expensive. Who would've thought 4 crepes and cidre would cost 33 euros. I guess, that's Paris.

From there we found a museum, called Musée des Egouts de Paris, which refers to the sewage system of Paris. That's right I have smelt the sewers of Paris! :) Before we entered, I forwarned Claire that it would smell not so pleasant, so to speak, she had a choice and went willingly. As we entered the depths of Paris, she kept on saying that the air was so thick, translating into I thought she was going to throw up. Let me tell you, it was cool. No really, I'm serious. Wandering around above the dark green water with not so bright lights. I mentioned how this could be a scene from a movie. Can you imagine someone running from a bad guy in the sewers of Paris through the dark corridors?? Someone should pay me for this idea.

As we immerged into the fresh air, with my freshly wavy hair due to the humidity, we wandered around the 1st arrondisment on Avenue Montaigne, which is one of the world's most expensive streets, just now discovering this after I've left. No wonder we had thought the guys in suits standing at the doors looked so funny. How bored they must get just standing there, Claire had said. We passed some famous shops, such as Christian Dior, Ralph Lauren, Chanel and other such high end chic shops, then walked over to the Champs Elsyée. Only I would, after walking the streets of one of the famous shopping areas of the world, discover the grandeur of the circumstance. Oh, causal Colorado what have you done to me.

The Champs Elsyée is great until you're trying to find a cheaper boulangerie, bakery, or pâtisserie, pastry shop, to go to. On to the metro we went in search of a place near the Forum des Halles, which did you know is an modern underground shopping precinct -I'll have you know Wikipedia just informed me. We bought two postcards and then went to the Gare de Nord, main train station in Paris, and went back to Chantilly, it's the closet train station to Apremont. Names are fun to know if you want to look it up on a map. ;)

Oh, the joys of Paris.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, do you mean underground market as in a market that is under the surface or a black market? Because the latter would be totally awesome, but not good for a kid.

There is a typo in what you said that took me back to one of my hardest classes: "causal Colorado" vs. "Casual Colorado". I'd say Colorado is acausal, but moderately casual. :-)