Tuesday, March 17, 2009

L'Abbaye de Chaâlis

I visited the Abbey of Chaâlis on Saturday with Sarah. It's not far from a small town called Borest -cool fact about Borest is that the countryside, outside of the village, was where Joan of Arc fought- where I stayed with Sarah for a night when she house-sat for a british family. She packed us a very french pique-nique, picnic, with saussion sec, dry sausage; boursin brie; des poires, pears; une baguette, bread; and des fraises, strawberries. The abbey actually isn't standing, the ruins are left. We feasted on some of the ruins of the Abbey. The grounds had a museum, a chapel and a rose garden -it doesn't start blooming until june or so. It was a beautiful time with Sarah. We giggled. We sang our hearts out in la chapelle, the chapel, where the acoustics were incredible, also a camera is tucked in the corner, not obvious until after you've made a spectacle of yourself. I have a number of pictures of the time spent there, execpt I haven't figured out a way to load them from another computer (my laptop is still down, although a friend of a friend may look at it).

That evening, Saturday, I was invited to join Amy and Charles to join their dinner party. After hours of preparation, a few friends came over around 8 -not ending until well past midnight, maybe even 1, I don't recall the time we finished- to share a meal. The repas, meal, starts with a salty appetizer including an apperatif, a strong alcoholic beverage; champagne. Then moved to the table after an hour or so of talking to eat salad, asparagus, fish and rice. Then came the cheese course and afterwards, dessert. It was yummy. I am enjoying the difference in pace in eating compared to the states, I don't feel stuffed to the point of popping.

I'm learning more and more about myself. Learning how to serve, to sacrifice my own needs and wants to honour others. It's different than being in college, being self focused. Each days is a new challenge, a new chance to grow and learn.

Look forward to some pictures once I figure out a solution to loading the pictures.

2 comments:

ScottyG said...

Raechel, your writing sparks so many rich images...thank you for taking us on the journey with you. I was not aware you had left for France, but I am thrilled to know you are there in your element.

Anonymous said...

Rae,
It is so good to hear you describe your adventures, time with people, and all the things you are learning. This is a moment in time...do not let one moment slip by without acknowledging its' presence. Good writing as well!
Blessings!
your bro,
Nathan