Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Running in Paris

Imagine with me, for a moment, walking into Paris with your black slacks and french jacket -mind you it was 10 euros at a marché , outdoor market. Going inside the Louvre, finding the nearest restroom and coming out with shorts, a pink pullover and running shoes. One of the things I wanted to do in Paris was go running. I ran through Paris on the 23rd, Monday. Walking through the Louvre with running shoes and shorts drew some unwanted attention, but what can you do? It cracks me up thinking about when I ran past tourists next to Notre-Dame. Getting soft gasps from people who were shivering under their winter coats. Police officers standing on a street corner on the Il e de la Cit é, mumbling, in french, about runners and winter.

I think it's the best way to sight see, running through Paris, that is. Tasting the Jardin du Luxembourg with the wind in my hair. A spectacular garden, it will only get better when more of the flowers come out. Maybe some of the looks were caused by the smile on my face?

Smiling is fairly uncommon in Paris. Not unless one wants to be pin-pointed as an American. There is a chance that is why the Mona Lisa is so famous. From first glance she doesn't look like she's smiling, it's only when you linger that you realize that her smile has been there all along. Parisians mimic her on the métro.

Don't be surprised if I come home carrying a Mona Lisa smile.

0 comments: