Monday, February 2, 2009

Jus De Pomme

Dear Mr. Whiskers,

What to you do in a grocery store when you can't find the jus de pomme (apple juice)? You ask, bien sûr. Today I went to the grocery store. Amy (the mom) had lunch with one of the girls, Sophie, while I looked for a few groceries. I couldn't find the jus de pomme, I looked around the store timidly. I decided here's my chance to practice my French and ask someone for help. I went up to an employee and greeted him, which is très important. If you don't actually greet a person before talking, like bonjour or bon soir, then they find that quite rude. He pointed me in the right direction and off I was to find the jus de pomme.

Another thing I've learned is don't say hello or make eye contact unless greeted first. Guess what the first thing I did on the day I arrived and went for a walk? Bonjour to everyone and to the two men working in the cementary. Wow, I couldn't believe how friendly everyone was in Apremont. Amy soon told me it is very forward to greet men or make eye contact. No wonder they were friendly! Ugh...

On samedi (Saturday), I did a tour of Paris in a convertible. Talk about overwhelming. It is très beautiful. It is a lot bigger than I had imagined. I'm looking forward to taking more time exploring parts of Paris on pied (foot) rather than car. Champs-Élysées here I come. :) Click on this link to watch this video of pictures of Paris. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAMuNfs89yE&feature=related It's a taste of everything I saw from my whirlwind tour of Paris. Don't worry I'll be back to take my own pictures. The song is called Aux Champs-Élysées, which is popular French song. Yes, I did sing the chorus as we walked, for a short jaunt, on the Champs-Élysées.

Attention
(be careful) with water!

Raechel

0 comments: